Dan Canta



Back to main menu
...................................................................................................................


DAN CANTA



Name? Dan Canta, not Daniel just Dan.



Age? Fifteen.



Resides? Bentleigh.



Swimming Highlights?   Over the short time I have been doing marathon swimming  there are few that stand out for me such as the bloody Big Swim which was 11.2 km, the Cinque Terra swim series that consisted of many swims the longest being 7 km, and the six hour swim that I did at Brighton which rounded off to about 19 km.



Biggest influence and/or coach? John Van Wisse who is my primary coach and mentor and everyone at Black Ice.



Swimming Idol? John Van Wisse is the first person that comes to mind, alongside everyone at Black Ice who inspire me to do what I do and all the previous Channel swimmers that pave the path to my final goal.



Pool or Ocean? There is no doubt that I prefer the Ocean, from it being different every time you jump in,to the unique  feeling of the first step in the water. The Ocean outshines the pool in everyday in my mind.



How many km a week? At the moment I am doing 20 km per week but looking to get up to 30 km in the near future.



Longest swim and details? English Channel Qualifier: 6 hrs in 14 degrees on a blowy day (15-20 knots). 



Favorite Place you have swam? I know it sounds dull, but I find nothing beats the good old Brighton Marina.



Coldest place you have swam? Last year I did a 1.2 km in 9 degrees, but that was when I wasn't too serious about swimming. Looking to do a long course around that temp.



Roughest Swim? One day down at Brighton it was galling around 35 knots and the waves were  going over the pier, me and a couple of swimmers decided to go for a short course one of the best/most terrifying moments in my swimming career.



Swimming Goals? The Infamous English Channel



What or who motivates you? My biggest motivators at the moment are my Mum and John Van Wisse doing everything to not only prepare me for the Channel, but to boost my moral at any given point.



Is swimming mentally harder or physically harder? I think that when you are going through all the physical stress for example fatigue and cold, if you are mentally strong you can get through it.



Favourite saying? "Well done, is far greater than well said."



Biggest fear? Besides jellyfish and sharks which are very common fears of an open water swimmer, a big fear of mine is to come out from the English Channel without that strong love of open water swimming that I have now.



Tips for other swimmers?  Just put your head down and swim, then after a while you'll look up and your there.



Diet during a swim? Generally if the swim is shorter than one and a half hours I would tend not to have any feeding. But after that mark I tend to use marathon gels, drink lots of water and electrolyte filled drinks. For when I get cold I find hot soup works very well to warm you up.



Worst place you have swam? I know I always say that Brighton is my favorite place to swim, which it is, but sometimes the conditions are dreadful.



Worst Injuries? I am happy to say that I haven't got any injuries worth mentioning so far.



Favorite Food? Indian.



Favorite Drink? Ice Tea.



Favorite Music? I like listening to anything, besides country music.



Favorite Movie? Anything directed by Quentin Tarantino 



Favorite Holiday? Anywhere in Italy



What do you think about when your in the water? Nothing in particular, my mind usually wonders.



Where is the one place you haven't swam but wanted to? I would love to see how it would be to swim in the Antarctic.



3 people you would invite to dinner? Stephen Hawking, Quinton Tarantino and Mark Zukleberg.



Cold water tips? Never out do yourself and always acknowledge your limits.



Toughest Competitor? Alby ;)



How big of a factor is weight in swimming? The extra protection from the cold always helps, but its all about your mental strength.



Pet Hate? Foggy goggles.



Biggest Thrill? Finishing the Bloody Big Swim felt amazing.



Favorite Sport besides Swimming? Sailing



Who would you like to sit next to on the plane to England? I think that some extra time by myself would benefit me before the big event.



Next swimming challenge? Besides the Channel I will be getting into every swim I can.



Occupation? Student at Brighton Grammar School



Date of Birth? 19th June 1999



Pet? Shirley, my four year old West Highland Terrier 



What next? The Channel

Alby

Back to main menu
...................................................................................................................

No comments: