Swimmers' Profile No 17 Don Crellin

Don is a local boy from Perth who realised his dream this year of swimming the Rotto crossing on his firstst attempt. It looks like he now has the bug and wants to go all the way with the English Channel as his next swim. First he would love to assist one of his children across to Rotto.


1: Name- Don Crellin

2: Age- 42

3: Resides- Mosman Park, Perth WA

4: Swimming Highlights- finishing the solo Rotto crossing on my first attempt. Had never competed in the Rotto swim before - this will always remain up there as a highlight

5: Biggest influence and coach – I havent swum under a coach for many years. My biggest influence in terms of achieving my swimming goals come from my Wife & Family, who support me with the many hours of training & especailly.......on the day of the event.

6: Swimming Idol- I was lucky enough to spend a few years growing up in the small South West town of Margaret River. My very first swim coach was Shane Gould who lived on a property close to Margaret River. I would have to say that Shane Gould remains a long time idol of mine.

7: Pool or Ocean- I find it important to have a mix between both pool & ocean however, as the actual event starts to get closer - stepping up the Ocean trainiing is vital. It not only prepares you for the water conditions but also mentally in terms of any fears that may exist (real or not)

8: How many kms a week- at the peak of my training, I was swimming between 30 & 40km per week.

9: Longest swim and how many hours in the water- the longest swim would have to be my first Rotto crossing. My official time in the water was 8hrs & 37min. It wasnt a great day in the water & I had hoped for a much faster time. Having said that - I was just glad that I had finished on my first attempt

10: Favorite place you have swam- living in Perth we are lucky to have a number of great swimming locations on our doorstep. Rottnest is always a favourite of mine & we spend majority of our summer weekends there.

11: Coldest place you have swum and temp- I spent a couple of years living & working in Wellington, New Zealand. The water temperatures were around the 14 degree mark........much coller than Perth waters!

12:Roughest swim eg. Wave height and wind speed- there was a lead up swim to the Rotto crossing that was swum in a strong sea breeze. Swell height was around the 2m mark with winds strengthening to 20 - 25 knts. A great lead up swim to the big event.....

13:Swimming goals- an ultimate goal of mine would be to take on & complete an English Channel swim

14:What or who motivates you- Self motivation is a key driver.

15:How much is Physical 70 % Mental 30 % By the time you reach race day - physical fitnest is a given if you have completed the training. On the day - its all about being mentally prepared for whats ahead.

16:Favorite saying- Life is no dress rehersal......get out & give it a go.......

17:Biggest fear swimming eg..cold jellyfish,sharks etc.. cold was the biggest fear that I had. It was one of those things that you cant see or really prepare for. On that basis - it was something that was largely outside of my control

18:Swimming close calls- no real close calls to speak of. Boat traffic in an event such as the Rotto swim is always something to watch out for.

19:Tips for other swimmers – always go into the event on the absolute assumption that you are going to make it. Never take doubts into an event. If you have completed the preparation - you know that you have the ability to complete it

20:What would you eat and drink during a swim- I load up on carbs heading into the event however - during the event - I restrict my eating. I have a tight schedule around fluid intake ensuring that I take on fluid approximately every 20 - 30 minutes

21Worst place you have swam-I swam a leg of an endurance event in the Blackwood river. Whilst only a relatively short distance the river was flowing ,the visability was zero, it was extremely cold and I had to contend with submerged trees and branches

22:Worst injuries- shoulder injuries continue to plauge me.

23:Favorite food,drink,music ,movie and holiday destination- a great steak & a cold beer..... I dont mind listening to

24:What do you think of when you are in the water for hours- During the swim - I focussed on how I would finish the race. I visualised how I would swim the final KM, how I would exit the water, what I would say to my support crew & family. Doing this continually meant that I never once thought about not finishing....

25:Where is one place you haven’t or would like to swim- would love to swim the English Channel

26:3 people you would invite to dinner- Gordon Ramsay (he can cook / great entertainment) / Alan Bond (some interesting stories to tell) / Lance Armstrong (an inspirational sportsman)

27:Cold water tips- its a mind game.....

28:Toughest competitor- myself. Especially in the longer events - its more about your own expectations than anything else.

29:Diet and how much is weight a factor on long distance swims- leading up to the Rotto event - diet played a signifiacnt part. Over the 8 / 9mth program that I had in place - I droppped a significant amount of weight.

30:Pet hate- Negative people.....People focusing & worrying about issues that they have no control over. Focus on what you can control & get on with it.........

31:Biggest thrill- In a swimming sense - walking up the beach at the Quokka Arms hotel after having swum from Cottesloe Beach has to go down as one of the best

32:Favorite sport besides swimming- Free Diving / Scuba Diving

33:Who would you like to sit next to on a plane-My wife Rebecca, this would mean that I am flying for leisure and not business ( how sweet Don You can give me the real answer in private)

34:Car you drive- Holden Calais

35:Next swimming challenge- would love to complete another Rotto solo now that I know what its all about. I would be better prepared, more relaxed &

36:Occupation- Drector / General Manager of a Finance Company

37:D.O.B. 28 February 1966


33Back to main menu 33
...................................................................................................................

Alby

.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Don, just googled your name and up popped this swimmer site. I was up in Shark Bay recently and saw a DON blue number plate that reminded me of you. We turn 50 soon so thought it a good time to catch up.
Cheers

Craig Kinder